Paradise traditions! For reservations: (+357) 22 92_4 500
    GR   EN


A few words about the village

Kakopetria is built upon the foothill of the Troodos Mountain and specifically in the north side of the mountain range, at an altitude of 667 meters. It is ridden with vegetation, amidst the banks of the Kargotis and Garillis rivers. The two rivers join inside the village and form the river Klarios, which crosses the valley of Solea and then flows into the Morfou Bay.

Kakopetria is a village of Nicosia District and is about 55 kilometers away from both Nicosia and Limassol. The village has about 1300 permanent inhabitants.

With regards to the name of the village, there are the following 3 versions:

  1. It is said that Kakopetria took this name (a compound of the words "Kako" and "Petra", meaning bad / rough and stone / rock) because in older times its area was not only rocky but also difficult to climb to.
  2. Close to the large bridge at the village's entrance, there is a big rock known as "Petra tou Androgynou" (Couples' Rock). According to tradition, newly-wed couples would sit on this rock. On day the rock rolled over and buried a newly-wed couple under it. After this event the inhabitants named the rock "Kakopetra" (Bad Rock) and then the village itself was name "Kakopetria".
  3. Another version reports that some nobleman from Marathasa had 3 sons. They were Nikos, Panagiotis, and Petris (Peter). Petris was mischievous, uptight, unbearable, and evil. His brothers were tired of him and asked their father to send him away. So, the father sent Petris to the other side of the mountain. In that way, Petris arrived in the area of the old village. He was the first settler. Combining the words "Kakos" (bad / evil) and "Petris", the village received the name of Kakopetria. The other two brothers founded two other villages, Nikos establishing the village Oikos ("Nikos" without the N, becoming "Ikos"), and Panagiotis -being so kind and compassionate -founded the village Kalopanagiotis ("Kalos" meaning Good / Kind).

Historical background

The settlement of Kakopetria, existed – at least – since the Frank domination era, because it is marked in old maps and, indeed, under the same name: Cacopetria and/or Chachopetria . It is however quite probable that there were settlements in the region even before that, during the Byzantine era.

The village's region was inhabited around the 6th – 7th century and the various excavations that have been conducted in 1938 around the old village of Kakopetria (in the Ailades venue) prove this. During the excavations a dispenser of an ancient shrine -most probably belonging to the goddess Athena -came to light.

The settlement of Kakopetria is constructed along the valley of the Kargotis and Garillis rivers. The new Kakopetria with its large, modern houses and their tiled roofs, built in the gradient ground and the riverbanks, is located in the eastern part of the valley. The old Kakopetria is built west of the valley and between the two rivers. The roofs of the houses are sloped and tiled and almost all of the houses have an upper floor and a wooden balcony.

Many years ago, the region of new Kakopetria belonged to the Holy Monastery of "Agios Nikolaos tis Stegis". After many years it was passed to the hands of the Holy Archdiocese of Cyprus. In 1922 the Holy Archdiocese separated the land into 120 building plots that were shared to the inhabitants by lot. Ever since then, the building of new houses has started in this area.

Kakopetria was for many years a village renowned for its silkworm breeding and the production -and also the processing -of silk, until even after the Second World War.

Kakopetria, because of its healthy and cool climate, its picturesque landscape, the wonderful natural environment, the rich vegetation, the cool and gargling waters, the folkloric heritage, and the relatively short distance from Nicosia and Limassol, naturally drew the attention of many families for vacation purposes during the months of summer.

The presence of these "outlander" families in the community goes way back, since 1918, when the first travellers arrived at the village with wagons and stayed in rented houses.

The frequent visits of local and foreign visitors in Kakopetria provided motives to the community's inhabitants and so they developed Kakopetria with regards to tourism. The warm hospitality of its inhabitants and their impeccable service offer to local and foreign tourists, have classified Kakopetria as one of the most sought after destinations in Cyprus.

Sights in Kakopetria

  • Palaia Kakopetria (Old village)
  • “Petra tou Androgynou (Couples' Rock)”
  • Watermills
  • Power Station
  • Museums

Churches in Kakopetria

  • Agios Panteleimonas
  • Church Sotiros (Palaia Kakopetria)
  • Agios Nicolaos Stegis
  • Agios Georgios Perachoritis
  • Panagia Theotokos
  • Chapel of Agios Fanourios

Museums in Kakopetria

Facilities you get in Kakopetria

  • Banking facilities (COOP and Banks)
  • Pharmacy
  • Petrol Stations
  • Restaurants, cafes, bars, clubs
  • Swimming pools
  • Retail (food items, clothing, newspapers, etc.)
  • Parking places
  • CYTA Offices
  • EAC Offices
  • Post Office Services
  • Car’s engineers
  • Bus Station
  • Taxis
© 2011 Αγροτουριστικά διαμερίσματα Ενύπνιον
Μάριου Ιωάννου (πρώην Παλαιάς Κακοπετριάς) 66, 2800 Κακοπετριά, Λευκωσία, Κύπρος
Τηλέφωνο: +357 22 92_4 500
Φαξ: +357 22 92_4 222
TIL-Design Studio
Made in TIL-Design Studio.
With love.